Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

2007
05.03

where the red fern grows
No matter how many times I read this book, even though I KNOW how its’ going to end, I still end up bawling for this tale of puppy love between a hill boy and his two coon hounds. I mean the kid saves money for like TWO years in a coffee can to buy these puppies! It’s enough to break your heart–and it does, on a regular basis(I read it at least once a year). It’s got a lot of old-fashioned sweetness and determination, with some murder, a wild cougar, and a thrilling car chase, I mean coon race, thrown in. This novel does away with the syrupy morality of both Black Beauty and Shiloh and gives you a real feel for the depth of love that can happen between people and animals.

14 Responses to “Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls”

1. mitzi says:

i love this book!! first time i read it was in 5 grade!! and im going to enter high school this year but it always manages to make me want more out of it.

wow!! u need to read it.

2. Dominique says:

I love this book! I had to read it for the Battle of the Books in 5th grade. I enjoyed it emmensely as a dog lover, but by the end I could not stop crying.

3. Azia says:

i absolutely loved this book!
    i got it from my teacher in gr 5 and at first i didnt want to read but she kept saying to so i finally did and i am happy i chose to.
    I am in gr 9 now and i have read the book once every year and hope to read it every year until i die (i kno i’m crazy, but hey, isnt everybody?)

4. mitzi says:

omg! azia the same thing totally happened to me! i recieved the book in 5 grade & now im in 9 th grade too! my teacher also forced me to read it & i also gave in! the weirdest thing is that i also still read it too, & even weirder ive told all my friends that i plan to read it till i die! kool coonnection, we have! :) :) :) :)

5. Eliana says:

I read this book and watched the movie, crying every time. It’s really amazing how someone can grow so attached, and the bond animals can create. Love the book.

6. bunny says:

this is the only book ive cried about when reading. sooooo touching. it truelly is the story of mans best friend!! this a must read.

7. Jen Hubert says:

Agreed! Have you seen/read Marley and Me?

8. Aimee says:

Im reading the book now and I’m in 6th grade. Some 8th graders told me how it ends and now I’m really mad at them because i wish i new when i read it and now i know what is going to happen.

9. Jen Hubert says:

I agree, Aimee, nothing worse than having the ending spoiled. I hope you can enjoy it anyway…

10. Marilyn says:

I read it in 7th grade along with my class. It was pretty good but it had some boring parts. The ending was sad :-(

11. Romel Abieras says:

I really liked this book and it was my favorite one in 5th grade.

12. Brandi says:

I have never finished reading the entire book! Is it good? I quit reading it cause it starts out really boring! =(

13. Franchesca says:

OMG…..I read this book in the 5th grade too! I loved it!:)

14. anadou says:

worst book ever i have to do 19 pages of work just because of this boaring book!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Reply